So in celebration of needing to save money and wanting to be good to the environment we have decided to make a bigger effort to be a power wise family. Now effective in Hamilton we pay different prices for energy at different times of the day.
Weekdays 7am-11am and 5pm-9pm are PEAK hours
Weekdays 11am-5pm are MODERATE hours
Weekdays 9pm-7am and Weekends are LOW hours
So these are the ways we are going to try and use low hours instead of peak hours.
- Do most of our laundry after 9pm and on weekends. We won’t be able to do ALL of our laundry then, but we are going to try and make it happen that way. It’s difficult when using cloth diapers plus laundry for 4 including 2 toddlers!
- Run the dishwasher once a day – at night, after 9pm.
- Try and use our computers on battery during the day and then charge them up at night. This is more practical for me than for Jon who needs his computer during the day to work – but we did just invest in a new battery for him that will stay charged for a lot longer….
- When the Christmas lights go up be very careful about how often we actually turn them on and when that is.
- We are very careful with our heating and keep our timed thermostat at 20 degrees between 8am and 10pm and at 18 degrees between 10pm and 8am. Amaris does have an electric heater in her room as her room is significantly colder than the rest of the house. She has 2 outside walls at the back of the house compared to Makai’o that only have a 1/3 of one wall to the outside. Jon and I like our room cold for sleeping – I enjoy the heavy blankets and duvet.
By recording all this and making it public – it’s out there. We’ve got to stick to it now!