Haitian Avocado Salad
by Recipes from Around the World
1 large ripe avocado
4 slices fresh pineapple (or a medium sizes can, drained)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice (or lime juice if your prefer)
a few lettuce leaves *I like iceburg lettuce, shredded or even cabbage or a pre-made coleslaw*
a little chopped parsley *I also like cilantro*
salt and pepper
*Add tuna, nuts or cottage cheese to make a more substantial meal. I don’t do this, but the recipe I started with tells you too.
- Slice round the avocado to open it and taking out the stone. Peel off the skin and cut the flesh into small pieces.
- Remove the skin from the fresh pineapple and cut the fruit into chunks. If using tuna, cottage cheese or nuts place these in a bowl with the avocado.
- In a separate container whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper with a fork to make the dressing.
- Pour this over the salad and stir gently. Place the lettuce leaves on a flat dish and cover them with the avocado and pineapple mixture, garnishing with parsley.
- Serve with hot bread, potatoes or cracked wheat. Or as a side dish/salad or whatever you’d like!
*Also tastes good in a wrap for an easier “to go” option!